10/19/11

EQ - Emotional Intelligence

Emotional Intelligence
- Shapes the way we interact with others
- Is responsible for 80% of one's personal success

* When you can identify your emotions and the reason you are having them, you increase your ability to control reaction and relate to others.
- Aly

Today I took the time to answer the following questions:

1. It makes me angry when...
    - Someone has to remind you of the next thing to do even though the "next thing" is already on my mental or written list.


2. I don't like it when people...
   - Chew their food with their mouths open.


3. I think it is rude to...
    - Stand in or walk into someone else's office while they are clearly on the phone.


4. I feel offended when...
    - Someone hangs up the phone without saying goodbye or mutually end the conversation.


5. At work, I wish people would...
    - Refrain from using profanity in conversation, it causes a lack of respect in my eyes.


6. At work, I think it would be a better place if people would stop...
    - Being so in depth with their personal lives, work is a place of business and professionalism. It's fine to be friends but try and do it outside of the workplace.


7. It makes me crazy when...
    - People move my things, it's there for a reason.


8. If people would only...
    - Think of what they are going to say before it actually comes out, you will seem more intelligent than just blurting out the first thing that comes to mind.


9. It annoys me when people say...
    - That they don't know how to do something, but haven't taken the time to at least try and figure it out.


10. I get irritated when I come to work and...
     - I have 15 messages about something that should have been addressed they day before.


Answering these questions has shown me that I have a slightly passive aggressive personality. I am an extremely laid back person, but because of that it causes me to have an irrational fear of upsetting someone. So I have a habit of not addressing things when they are bothering me...until the third time that is ;). In most cases it seems that emotional triggers can be bypassed by common courtesy's such as minding someones personal space, letting them tell you why they are doing something the way they are before automatically determining that it is wrong and plain old respect for another person.

So the next time you think someone is being absurd, or that they are upset for no reason, stop and think of the things that bother you and if you could have approached the situation differently.

- Affectionately, Tornado Aly

No comments: